openings at BE
Information for candidate PhD students
In The Netherlands, almost all PhD positions are linked to funded research projects. This has several implications:
- PhD students are employed: they receive a salary rather than a grant. The salary ranges from approximately EUR 2050 (first year) till EUR 2660 (final year), subject to state tax. Most projects have a duration of 4 years.
- Positions become available once a project is funded. This can happen at any time during the year.
- It typically takes 6 to 9 months for a project proposal to receive funding. In this period, a position may be anticipated but the outcome remains insecure. Once a project is funded, the open position needs to be filled as soon as possible.
If you are interested in our research, it merits to inquire whether openings will be available. We collect resumes of prospective PhD students throughout the year, for each of our research tracks.
General requirementsWe make our selection based on the following requirements:
- Formal requirements regarding prior education: you should have earned an MSc thesis at a recognized institute for higher education.
- Background: you should have a strong background in signal processing, communications or systems theory, and be proficient in linear algebra and mathematics
- Excellence: your Grade-Point-Average should be above 8 (10). Also your MSc thesis should have received a grade above 8 (10).
- English: you should be able to communicate well in english (written and oral). Provide TOEFL/IELTS scores if available.
- Originality: your MSc thesis or later work (publications) should reflect some original ideas. Critical and independent thinking is very important.
- Team player: you should be able to work well in a team of other project members.
- Independent of the funding source, all PhD students are enrolled in the Graduate School which monitors your progress. You will be expected to follow courses as part of the Doctoral Education programme.
- TU Delft has a website for international staff, and some information on finding accomodation.