MSc thesis project proposal
Biodegradable actuator for MECHANICAL STIMULATION of cells in Organs-on-Chip
Mechanical stimulation of cells for the growth of functional tissue is necessary, especially in the context of heart and muscle tissue. The advantage of a biodegradable substrate is that it disappears after a predefined period of time, leaving only the biological tissue for further biological use. The objective of this project is to develop biodegradable actuators for mechanical stimulation of cells in Organs-on-Chip platform.
This project will be performed in close collaboration with biologists from the Netherlands Organ-on-Chip Initiative (NOCI).
The student will perform the assignment at ECTM:
- Duration: 9-12 months
- Location: ECTM and EKL facilities at TU Delft
The expected activities
- Synthesis and characterization of biodegradable material to be used in the actuators
- Microfabrication and characterization of biodegradable wireless soft actuators for mechanical stimulation of cells in Organs-on-Chip platform
- Development of a setup to control the actuators
- In vitro study with cells as a proof a concept study
You are an ambitious student looking for a challenging thesis project on new materials and microfabrication of actuators for medical applications. You have a biomedical engineering, material science, mechanical or microelectronics background. Good communication skills in English and a pro-active attitude are expected.
dr. Clementine Boutry
Electronic Components, Technology and Materials Group
Department of Microelectronics
Last modified: 2023-01-06