MSc thesis project proposal
RF Digital-to-analog Converters (NXP)
Project outside the universityNXP Semiconductors
A MIMO automotive radar application implements an array of transceivers on the same IC. For example, a MIMO radar transmits pre-defined waveforms through N TX antennas, which then received back through N (or M) receiver antennas. This configuration requires N x RF DACs and N (or M) high-frequency ADCs. This thesis focuses on area and power efficient implementation of an RF DAC which can generate the pre-defined waveforms for radar application.In this master thesis project you will do/learn:
- In depth study of ADC (or DAC) architecture
- Design of analog and mixed-signal circuits in 28nm CMOS
- Circuit simulations with Spectre (or other simulator)
- Layout design of circuits and simulation of extracted layout
- Build understanding of impact of process imperfections and parasitic artifacts on performance
AssignmentOverview of the project planning (depending on the progress of the student)
- Literature review of high-speed RF DACs targeting waveform generation for radar.
- System level study of the proposed architecture in Matlab/Cadence.
- Circuit and layout implementation.
- Tape-out of the IC followed by measurement.
- Process node: 28nm HPCP.
- Target tape-out date: Sep 2022
- Good knowledge of analog and mixed circuit design.
- Good understanding of Data Converters.
- Familiarity with Matlab and Cadence.
- You will be collaborating with researchers from NXP Semiconductors so good communication and presentation skills are essential.
dr.ir. Muhammed Bolatkale
Electronic Instrumentation Group
Department of Microelectronics
Last modified: 2021-02-10